Friday, February 7, 2014

Jon Batiste is HERE!!

I had most likely the best experience of my life today. An amazing jazz musician named Jon Batiste is in park city this weekend and every member of the band program was invited to do a workshop jam session thing with him! It was absolutely amazing. The coolest part was that we basically made up original songs on the spot. It started out with just one theme. Then we added different parts to it and made it totally awesome. It was so much fun and the best time of had in my life. Plus tomorrow I get to go to his concert in the eccles center.

Image from here

More than anything this experience has opened my eyes to the possibilities of musical collaboration. There was at least a hundred students there at the time and they were all playing. And it actually sounded good! That's just the power of what happens when an amazing musician and a group of other musicians gets together. We made something incredible from a bunch of individual little things combining together and creating art! There's a video out of the same thing he did with the students here last year. I'll make sure to post one from this year if there ever is one. But for now just remember that if you ever need something to make your day, music is the answer. Trust me, that was proven to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment